RNI 249®, also known as Inca Gold®, is a patent-pending extract from the hypocotyls of the crucifer Lepidium meyenii, a radish-like tuber cultivated only on the inner slopes of the Andean Mountains. It increases the body’s own production of insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), a hormone which naturally decreases with and is responsible for the effects of aging. With research supported in part by the US National Institutes of Health, RNI 249 has been shown to aide in the repair and regeneration of human arthritic cartilage cells (chondrocytes).
RNI 249® (formerly RNI-501, aka Inca Gold®) Research
(1) Antioxidant activity of the cruciferous vegetable Maca (Lepidium meyenii). Food Chemistry, 2002, 79: 207-213. (Download PDF #10)
Reactive oxygen and nitrogen species (i.e. superoxide, hydroxyl, peroxynitrite), have been indicated as causative factors in cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, neurological disorders and aging. A precursor extract of RNI-249™ degraded free radicals, ameliorated peroxynitrite induced-cell death and protected cells against hydrogen peroxide by maintaining the intracellular production of ATP. RNI-249 has the ability to scavenge free radicals and provides cytoprotection against oxidative stress.
(2) Enhanced IGF-1 Production in Human Cartilage. Grant No. 1R43AG024733-01, US National Institutes of Health (NIH): National Institute on Aging & National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Disease. 2004-2005. (Download PDF #11)
Part of the research regarding RNI-249™ was funded by the US NIH. RNI-249™ was shown to rapidly increasing the expression of insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) and promote anabolism. IGF-1, a polypeptide protein, is one of the most potent natural stimulators of cell growth, multiplication and repair and a potent inhibitor of programmed cell death (apoptosis). It is naturally produced by the body throughout life, with levels peaking at (and responsible for the growth spurt seen in) puberty and steadily decreasing thereafter. In regards to joint health specifically, RNI-249™ may promote the chondrocyte IGF-1 production, limit further cartilage degradation, initiate the repair process and increase muscle mass and tone that supports cartilage/bone.
(3) Clinical Trial: Rainforest Nutritionals Inc (RNI): ISRCTN25438351 – A double-blind, active-controlled, randomized, parallel group multicentric study to investigate the safety, tolerability and efficacy of Reparagen – a dietary supplement compared to glucosamine sulfate in patients with moderate osteoarthritis of the knee. 2006 (Download PDF #12)
Prior to conducting human clinical trials, RNI received confirmation from an independent institutional ethics committee (IEC) that the protocol posed no safety risk to the intended participants. The protocol was then submitted to Current Controlled Trials and received an International Standard Randomized Controlled Trial Number (ISRCTN). The ISRCTN complies with requirements set out by the World Health Organization (WHO) International Clinical Trials Registry Platform (ICTRP), the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) guidelines, and the WHO 20-item Trial Registration Data Set. The ISRCTN applies to any clinical trial designed to assess the efficacy of health interventions in human populations.
(4) The chrondoprotective actions of a natural product are associated with the activation of IGF-1 production by human chondrocytes despite the presence of IL-1ß. BMC Complementary & Alternative Medicine, 2006, 6: 13 (Download PDF #8)
RNI-249™ activated insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) production in explanted arthritic knee cartilage tissue and caused the tissue to regenerate and normalize. In combination with Vincaria®, this normalization was more pronounced. IGF-1, a polypeptide protein, is one of the most potent natural stimulators of cell growth, multiplication and repair and a potent inhibitor of programmed cell death (apoptosis). It is naturally produced by the body throughout life, with levels peaking at (and responsible for the growth spurt seen in) puberty and steadily decreasing thereafter. IGF-1 is therefore associated with the process of aging.
(5) Clinical Trial: Comparison of glucosamine sulfate and a polyherbal supplement for the relief of osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized controlled trial [ISRCTN25438351]. BMC Complementary & Alternative Medicine, 2007, 7: 34 (Download PDF #9)
In an eight-week, multi-center, double-blind, randomized, positive-controlled clinical trial of 95 subjects with confirmed osteoarthritis, over 92% of the participants taking the polyherbal combination of Vincaria® and RNI-249™ (Reparagen®) experienced significant relief within 7 days. Additionally, the Reparagen group had a significantly higher reduction in pain in comparison to the glucosamine group.