Vincaria® is a patented alkaloid-deplete extract from the Uncaria species of vine shown in human clinical studies to reduce inflammation and pain associated with osteoarthritis. It’s mechanism of action is regulation of the TNF-alpha, a cytokine responsible in over 35 inflammatory pathways, via the NFkB. It also protects the gastrointestinal tract from NSAID (e.g. aspirin) induced injury, such as ulcers.
(1) Anti-inflammatory actions of cat’s claw: the role of NF-?B. Aliment Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 1998, 12: 1279-1289. (Download PDF #1)
Vincaria® prevents the activation of the transcription factor, nuclear factor kappa B (NF-?B) which reduces the expression (”turning-on”) of pro-inflammatory genes. When taken in conjunction with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as the common non-prescription pain relievers aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen, Vincaria® protects the stomach lining and gut from common NSAID damage.
(2) Cat’s Claw inhibits TNFa production and scavenges free radicals: role in cytoprotection. Free Radical Biology & Medicine, 2000, 29: 71-78,
(Download PDF #2)
Vincaria® is a potent inhibitor of tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNFa) production and protects human cells from oxidative death including death via ultraviolet radiation. TNFa is a family of cytokines that is responsible for over thirty different types of inflammatory responses. Thus, Vincaria® reduces inflammation by inhibiting the body’s production of TNFa.
(3) Dietary antioxidants protect gut epithelial cells from oxidant-induced apoptosis. BMC Complementary & Alternative Medicine, 2001, 1: 11.
(Download PDF #3)
Vincaria® is a potent anti-oxidant that protected human epithelial cells from various oxidants stresses in a manner that was significantly more effective than Vitamin C.
(4) Clinical Trial: Efficacy and safety of freeze-dried cat’s claw in osteoarthritis of the knee: mechanisms of action of the species Uncaria guianensis. Inflammation Research, 2001, 50: 442-448. (Download PDF #4)
The Vincaria® Unum In Dei (once-a-day) Efficacy (VUIDE) study: In this randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial in patients with confirmed osteoarthritis, over 90% of those taking a single 100mg daily dose of Vincaria® (aka Vinicol) experienced significant improvement (reduced pain, inflammation; increased mobility, flexibility) in less than 5 days as compared to placebo. Assessments of improvement were measured by the standardized and globally-accepted Western Ontario and McMaster Universities (WOMAC) protocol. There were no adverse events reported. The VUIDE (pronounced VIDE) trial demonstrated Vincaria® to be the only form confirmed effective for osteoarthritis in small quantity for once-a-day use.
(5) Clinical Trial: Efficacy and tolerance of an Ephedra-free nutraceutical weight management product in an Asian population. JANA, 2002, 5(2): 34-40. (Download PDF #5)
Vincaria® (aka Vinicol) was successfully used in a clinical trial for weight reduction to reduce the deleterious effects of excessive weight on cartilage, joints and bone.
(6) Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities of cat’s claw (Uncaria tomentosa and Uncaria guianensis) are independent of their alkaloid content. Phytomedicine, 2002, 9: 325-337. (Download PDF #6)
Vincaria® species, which is significantly devoid of oxindole alkaloids, was shown to be a more effective anti-inflammatory agent and anti-oxidant than those species most commonly used as supplements which contain oxindole alkaloids.
(7) Suppression of human cartilage degradation and chondrocyte activation by a unique mineral supplement (SierraSil™) and a cat’s claw extract, Vincaria®. JANA, 2004, 7(2): 32-39. (Download PDF #7)
Vincaria® reduces human cartilage breakdown and chondrocyte activation induced by Interleukin-1.
(8) The chrondoprotective actions of a natural product are associated with the activation of IGF-1 production by human chondrocytes despite the presence of IL-1ß. BMC Complementary & Alternative Medicine, 2006, 6: 13 (Download PDF #8)
Vincaria® activated insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) production in explanted arthritic knee cartilage tissue and caused the tissue to regenerate and normalize. In combination with RNI-249™, this normalization was more pronounced. IGF-1, a polypeptide protein, is one of the most potent natural stimulators of cell growth, multiplication and repair and a potent inhibitor of programmed cell death (apoptosis). It is naturally produced by the body throughout life, with levels peaking at (and responsible for the growth spurt seen in) puberty and steadily decreasing thereafter. IGF-1 is therefore associated with the process of aging.
(9) Clinical Trial: Comparison of glucosamine sulfate and a polyherbal supplement for the relief of osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized controlled trial [ISRCTN25438351]. BMC Complementary & Alternative Medicine, 2007, 7: 34 (Download PDF #9)
In an eight-week, multi-center, double-blind, randomized, positive-controlled clinical trial of 95 subjects with confirmed osteoarthritis, over 92% of the participants taking the polyherbal combination of Vincaria® and RNI-249™ (Reparagen®) experienced significant relief within 7 days. Additionally, the Reparagen group had a significantly higher reduction in pain in comparison to the glucosamine group.